CONDER/dance presents :
Breaking Ground 2019
Contemporary Dance and Film Festival
January 25 - 26, 2019
Deadline for Submission: October 15, 2018
Artists will be notified of final selections by November 1, 2018
Please choose the category of form that fits your work:
Marcus White : Associate Professor for Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University and Creative Director of White Werx
Carley Conder : Artistic Director – CONDER/dance, full-time Instructor for Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University
Pamlea Pietro : Associate Arts Professor at New York University Tisch School for the Arts.
Judging Criteria includes innovation, execution, clear communication of ideas, and thought-provoking material. Multi-media work is encouraged.
Core Values of Breaking Ground Festival
Artistic Support - Provide a strong platform for artists to develop and present their work in traditional and non-traditional settings to invested, enthusiastic audiences.
Community Engagement - Provide a leadership position that aims to strengthen relationships with community partners that will allow the festival to act as a catalyst to bring isolated communities together.
Exceptional Programming - Actively seek out dance programming that represents the quality, stylistic and cultural range of what contemporary dance has to offer.
Application Fee: $55 - initial entry; $25 – each entry following the first
Arizona Artists: $25 for each work submitted for MainStage; $20 for Tiny Dances proposals
All Artists selected for BG19 Mainstage will receive a $150 honorarium.
Tiny Dances artists will receive a $50 honorarium.
2019 ARTIST REQUIREMENTS
- No public performances in Arizona of work selected between November 1, 2018 and January 30, 2019.
- Promotional materials and efforts as requested by Breaking Ground administrative staff.
- Technical and dress rehearsals on January 24, 25, or 26, 2019.
- Production Showing on December 1, 2018. This is a mandatory showing for all artists. A live showing can be scheduled with CONDER/dance or a video showing is also acceptable.
- DISCLAIMER: CONDER/dance reserves the right to pull a work from Breaking Ground programming following the December 1 Production Showing if the work is deemed unfit for performance by members of the Adjudication Panel.
BG19 ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE:
- One performance at Tempe Center for the Arts – Theater
- Minimum of 45 minutes tech time and a dress rehearsal on stage (MainStage artists only)
- Performance honorarium of $150
- Covered costs of production including theater rental, lighting design, marketing, public relations, technical direction and program administration
- Promotion as a Breaking Ground Artist by PR Firm Audience Magnets … print, social media, TV, reviews where available
- Complimentary tickets for all BG19 events for choreographers and cast
- AfterParty for artists, staff, friends of BG19
- Reduced rates on BG19 Master Classes and BG19 merchandise
- Paid teaching opportunities - Selected Artists Only
BG19 ARTISTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Travel Expenses for out of town artists
- Lodging for out of town artists
- Technical needs beyond what Tempe Center for the Arts includes in standard rental fee. It may be necessary for the artist to provide fees for exceptional video, lighting, sound needs. Examples include: hazer, piano, projection from the floor or wings, etc.
See Information Sheet and FAQ at www.conderdance for more information on the festival and application process.
Artists will be notified of final selection by November 1, 2017.
Tiny Dances are open to artists from all locations.
We are looking for a wide variety of possibilities for the Tiny Dances format: solos, group work, dance theater, urban dance forms, contemporary ballet, installation work.
Tiny Dances will be curated by Carley Conder and Nicole Olson.
Stages for Tiny Dances are 4ft x 4ft and raised 2ft off the ground.
For Breaking Ground 2019:
- Tiny Dances will take place in the Lakeside Room at Tempe Center for the Arts following the Mainstage offerings.
- The audience will be seated on all sides of the Tiny Stage.
- Choreographers will choose one of three concepts to interpret:
- Coming of Age
- Fashion Forward
- Socially Aware
Time Limit for Tiny Dances : 5 minutes
We are looking for new work proposals for BG19 and also programming for local promotional events and opportunities.
Please fill out a separate Application Form for each work you are submitting.
Artists will be notified of final selections by November 1, 2018.
Footage from Breaking Ground 2015 Tiny Dances is included HERE.