There are presently no open calls for submissions.
CONDER/dance presents :
Breaking Ground 2020
Contemporary Dance and Film Festival
January 24 - 25, 2020
Deadline for Submission: October 15, 2019
Artists will be notified of final selections by November 1, 2019
Please choose the category of form that fits your work:
Jenny Gerena : Phoenix based performing artist, choreographer and photographer. Permanent Artist in Residence and Media & Marketing Director for [nueBOX].
Carley Conder : Artistic Director – CONDER/dance, Clinical Associate Professor for Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University.
Pamela Pietro : Associate Arts Professor at New York University Tisch School for the Arts.
Judging Criteria includes innovation, execution, clear communication of ideas, and thought-provoking material. Multi-media work is encouraged.
Core Values of Breaking Ground Festival
Artistic Support - Provide a strong platform for artists to develop and present their work in traditional and non-traditional settings to invested, enthusiastic audiences.
Community Engagement - Provide a leadership position that aims to strengthen relationships with community partners that will allow the festival to act as a catalyst to bring isolated communities together.
Inclusive Programming - Actively seek out dance programming that represents the quality, stylistic and cultural range of what contemporary dance has to offer.
Application Fee: $55 - initial entry; $25 – each entry following the first
Arizona Artists: $25 for each work submitted for MainStage; $20 for Tiny Dances proposals
All Artists selected for BG20 Mainstage will receive a $150 honorarium.
Tiny Dances artists will receive a $50 honorarium.
No Production Fees are required if selected.
2020 ARTIST REQUIREMENTS
- No public performances in Arizona of work selected between November 1, 2019 and January 30, 2020.
- Promotional materials and efforts as requested by Breaking Ground administrative staff.
- Technical and dress rehearsals on January 23, 24, or 25, 2020.
- Production Showing on December 1, 2019. This is a mandatory showing for all artists. A live showing can be scheduled with CONDER/dance or a video showing is also acceptable.
- DISCLAIMER: CONDER/dance reserves the right to remove a work from Breaking Ground programming following the December 1 Production Showing if the work is deemed unfit for performance by members of the Adjudication Panel.
BG20 ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE:
- One performance at Tempe Center for the Arts – Theater
- Minimum of 45 minutes tech time and a dress rehearsal on stage (MainStage artists only)
- Performance honorarium of $150
- Covered costs of production including theater rental, lighting design, marketing, public relations, technical direction and program administration
- Promotion as a Breaking Ground Artist by PR Firm Audience Magnets … print, social media, TV, reviews where available
- Complimentary tickets for all BG20 events for choreographers and cast
- AfterParty for artists, staff, friends of BG20
- Reduced rates on BG20 Master Classes and BG20 merchandise
- Paid teaching opportunities - Selected Artists Only
BG20 ARTISTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Travel Expenses for out of town artists
- Lodging for out of town artists
- Technical needs beyond what Tempe Center for the Arts includes in standard rental fee. It may be necessary for the artist to provide fees for exceptional video, lighting, sound needs. Examples include: hazer, piano, specific projection needs.
Please email email@example.com with any additional questions.