There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Breaking Ground 2018
Contemporary Dance and Film Festival
January 19 - 20, 2018
Tempe Center for the Arts
Deadline for Submission: October 15, 2017
Artists will be notified of final selections by November 1, 2017
Please choose the category of form that fits your work:
Tiny Dances - Arizona Artists only
Eric Handman : Associate Professor at the University of Utah's Department of Modern Dance,
Carley Conder : Artistic Director – CONDER/dance
Maria Gillespie : Artistic Director - Oni Dance. Assistant Professor, Peck School of the Arts at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
Judging Criteria includes innovation, execution, clear communication of ideas, and thought-provoking material. Multi-media work is encouraged.
Application Fee: $55 � initial entry; $25 – each entry following the first
Arizona Artists: $25 for each work submitted for MainStage; $20 for Tiny Dances proposals
If selected, no production fee is required.
All Artists selected for BG18 Mainstage will receive a $150 honorarium.
Tiny Dances artists will receive a $20 honorarium.
2018 ARTIST REQUIREMENTS
- No public performances in Arizona of work selected between November 1, 2017 and January 30, 2018.
- Promotional materials and efforts as requested by Breaking Ground administrative staff.
- Technical and dress rehearsals on January 18, 19 or 20, 2018.
- Production Showing on December 1, 2017. This is a mandatory showing for all artists. A live showing can be scheduled with CONDER/dance or a video showing is also acceptable.
- DISCLAIMER: CONDER/dance reserves the right to pull a work from Breaking Ground programming following the December 1 Production Showing if the work is deemed unfit for performance by members of the Adjudication Panel.
BG18 ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE:
One performance at Tempe Center for the Arts – Theater
Minimum of 45 minutes tech time and a dress rehearsal on stage (MainStage artists only)
Performance honorarium of $150
Covered costs of production including theater rental, lighting design, marketing, public relations, technical direction and program administration
Promotion as a Breaking Ground Artist by PR Firm Audience Magnets … print, social media, TV, reviews where available
Complimentary tickets for all BG18 events for choreographers and cast
AfterParty for artists, staff, friends of BG18
Reduced rates on BG18 Master Classes and BG18 merchandise
Paid teaching opportunities - Selected Artists Only
BG18 ARTISTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
Travel Expenses for out of town artists
Lodging for out of town artists
Technical needs beyond what Tempe Center for the Arts includes in standard rental fee. It may be necessary for the artist to provide fees for exceptional video, lighting, sound needs. Examples include: hazer, piano, projection from the floor or wings, etc.
See Information Sheet and FAQ at www.conderdance for more information on the festival and application process.